February 6, 2009

What do you think?

My Dad was telling us (Me and my sisters) last night about this story. It's kind of long, so I didn't post the whole thing. But basically, it's about this girls basketball team who had to write the opposing team an apology for winning by so much! I'll call then Team 'A' (The team who won) and Team 'B' (The team that lost). The score of this game was 100-0. Wow. Does it get more depressing than that??? So, Team A played really well (Obviously :), and Team B played really not-so well (Obviously :). At halftime, Team A was up 59-0. If I was Team B, I wouldn't want to continue with the game if you know what I mean... There were four minutes left in the game, so Team A decided to stop at an even 100. After the game, parents (I guess, it may have been other people as well) umm, let's say, not very happy with the outcome of the game... *ahem*. So now Team A has to write an apology to Team B for beating them so badly (Or well, however you want to put it).

Now, I didn't think that this was fair to Team A. Team A was just playing the game of basketball, and I don't think that they should have to write an apology for winning. However, the link also said that parents thought that Team A had made their point, that they were better than Team B. A parent of Team B said, "I think the bad judgment was in the full-court press and the 3-point shots (And I have no IDEA what that means :). At some point, they should have backed off." Kate made a point last night. She said that if Team B (Or any team, for that matter) had asked for the NBA to come and play them, they wouldn't make the NBA write an apology to them just because they would (Of course) beat them. So, there are pros and cons in both sides. I would probably take the side that Team A doesn't have to write the apology. What do you think?



P.S. Do you like my new signature (*Ahem*, yes, new :)? I've started using my middle name along with my first name in my signatures now!

3 Friend(s) Commented:

Anonymous February 7, 2009 at 9:05 AM  

Interesting story.

I think it's admirable that Covenant school is trying to be honorable in their actions--but I think "seeking a forfeit and apologizing for the margin of victory" is the wrong approach.

Both teams played by the rules--so I see no need for a forfeit. Likewise, they both played by the rules and Covenant clearly was the superior team--I see no need for apologizing for the "margin of victory".

If Covenant wanted to send a letter of apology, a letter indicating their remorse for not showing compassion towards the other team would be suitable. They could apologize for showing off or for loudly cheering when their opponent was down--but apologizing for winning the game? I don't think so.

Davene February 7, 2009 at 2:00 PM  

Thanks for posting a link to that. I hadn't heard about it.

Hmm...that is interesting.

As always, I think the thoughts and attitudes of the heart are the most important thing. If I were involved in the Covenant School, I would want to deal with the hearts of the girls on that team...to make sure they clearly understood that just because they won by such a large margin, they aren't better than the other girls. Maybe the letter of apology and the request for a forfeit is the school's way of helping the girls to become more humble?

It's a tough one though.

By the way, I do like your new signature! :)

Anonymous February 7, 2009 at 6:55 PM  

Hi Emily!
I posted my action pictures, if you want to go check them out.

I would know about this... I agree with bekahcubed that if they had shown off, then they should write the note... But we don't know if they did. (at least, I don't...) I think that they could've at least let the other team have a chance though. Don't you?

{Emily Joy Photography}

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP